If you are in the unexpected position of job loss, furlough or lay-off due to the Covid-19 here are some tips to get you back in the game and make great use of your time while you are social distancing.
1. Identify your transferable skills. Skills such as customer service, multi tasking, strong math skills are all in demand skills that can be used in a multitude of ways. Research the “hot jobs” or jobs that are hiring now and think about how your current skills could help you do that work.
2. Update resume or LinkedIn profile. Now is the time to spend a day reviewing your resume and making sure it is current. Spend some time on LinkedIn and see who may be helpful connections or what jobs are being recruited.
3. Gain new skill, education or certification. Now is the time while you are at home to take a class or learn new information. It will make you a more attractive candidate for roles.
4. Connect with a temporary agency. Many temporary agencies are still recruiting for temporary or part time staff for various roles. You can try out a new job and perhaps find a great fit.
5. Network online. Use your updated LinkedIn profile to connect with like minded professionals. Include a personal message when you request to connect. Also research Facebook groups, Instagram pods or professional associations that may be holding free webinars or having discussions about the latest topics in your field.
If you need more information, please contact Strategic Compensation Solutions, PO BOX 5677 Charlottesville VA 22905, Jennifer@StrategicCompensationSolutions.com or (434) 989-5133
There is no template for handling the Coronavirus. Our businesses are now headed into uncharted territory. Below are 10 key areas that will help ensure your company is navigating the waters strategically.